Are you having trouble with pests entering your home, or want to take measures to prevent pests from entering in the future? Then you can make certain changes to your home that can help you do that. In some cases these changes are cheap to make and don't take up much time to do. Read on if you would like to know how you can alter your home in order to keep those unwanted pests away.
- Seal entry points: take a slow walk around your house and look for cracks and potential places where pests could enter. Pay attention to where utility pipes enter your building because that is one of the more common places that pests can use to enter. Once you identify potential points of entry, you should cover them up with concrete.
- Vegetation and trees: if you have vegetation and trees that are in close proximity to your home then you should take steps to trim or remove them. By doing this you will reduce the number of bug type pests that will be entering your home.
- Ventilation: some pests thrive in conditions that are humid and moist. You should keep all areas of your home dry and well ventilated. This includes the attic and basement areas of your home. If your home air ventilation system does not extend to these areas then you could come up with alternatives. For example, you could have a solar attic fan installed, which will add next to nothing to your utility bills.
- Fire wood: if you store fire wood right next to the home then you could be making a serious mistake. That's because fire wood is prone to termite infestations, and once they are done with the wood they can very easily move into your home. You can store firewood around 15-25 feet away from your home, and 4-7 inches off the ground.
- Over the counter pesticides: if you have already covered up the cracks of your home with cement and pests are still evident, then you will need to get rid of them with poison. Your local hardware store will have a variety of pesticides than can do the job, and the specific pesticide that you buy should be determined by what kind of pest problem you are dealing with. When applying pesticide take care to make sure that any children or pets in the house will not come into contact with it.
For more information, check out companies such as Ranger Pest Control.